- 6 cups dry bread, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups corn bread, crushed into coarse crumbs
- 1/4 cup finally minced onion
- 1/4 cup celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme or marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 to 1-1/4 cups turkey stock
- Crumble bread into small pieces.
- Let dry in 200° oven.
- Mix bread pieces with corn bread crumbs.
- Add onions, celery and herbs.
- Add small amount of stock to moisten.
- Add butter or margarine, mixing well.
- Add eggs.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add more stock, using just enough until the stuffing holds together.
To test consistency:
Take a handful of the mixture and press it gently to form a ball. Drop it on a plate. If it holds together in a ball, but breaks apart as it falls the amount of moisture is right.
Labels: Christmas Turkey