If you're looking for a delicious, yet light, dessert, you might include Italian Sponge Cake in your Christmas menu. By using our recipe you will be able to make this simple and easy cake in no time. It's light and easy, perfect for after those heavy holiday meals.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of cake flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Beat eggs yolks and sugar in mixing bowl until lemon covered.
- Slowly add sifted flour, blending in well.
- Add vanilla and lemon rind.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry, and fold into batter.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 18" square pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes.
- Turn over on cake rack and cool.